The Internet provides you with many tools (often free) to learn how to find shared accommodation for your holidays and travels.
Before starting to list the tools that may be useful to you I want to make a premise:
Holidays in shared accommodation
Looking for all possible ways to save on vacation expenses is certainly a smart way to multiply your chances of traveling and extending your vacation.
Keep in mind, however, that, in addition to the opportunity to travel and get to know new countries and cultures, holidays are meant to relax and rest.
Shared accommodation: negatives
Carefully consider sharing accommodations during your vacation as you may run into unexpected or underestimated problems:
- Living with strangers is not always a positive experience and your holiday could be ruined by people you don't get along with
- you will have to adapt to sharing spaces (such as the bathroom and kitchen) with people you do not know and who may have very different needs and habits from yours
- once you have planned your trip and made the arrangements you will never be able to change your mind
Shared accommodation: the advantages
- significant savings on accommodation costs
- opportunity to meet new people and exchange experiences and advice and, perhaps, become friends
- accommodation expenses planned before departure and ease of drafting the travel budget
- living together with other travelers could be fun and enjoyable
How to find shared accommodation
You have two possibilities to start your search:
- start a search in the communities of experienced travelers about your travel destination (Facebook groups, Forums, Blogs)
- start a search using aggregator sites or sites that offer a housing sharing service
Search for shared accommodation in Communities
If you have chosen this option you are a person used to surfing the net and with a good ability to undertake friendly relations using Social Networks.
The strategy to use is very simple: research the communities (Facebook groups) and websites that collect information and discussions about the travel destination you have chosen.
Very often, accommodation opportunities are easily found either as a spontaneous offer from other travelers or as advertisements posted by professionals.
The ideal is to find contact with other people looking for accommodation in the same place and agree to share the costs. You need to be enterprising and have good interpersonal skills. Another factor to take into account is your ability to adapt: you will have to live with strangers with whom to divide the expenses and spaces.
Search for shared accommodation on specialized sites
There are many specialized sites on how to find shared accommodation. Most of these are created to support off-site university students.
The need for students was in fact what triggered this form of savings on housing.
Later, tourists also started to use this expedient to save on expenses.
You must therefore distinguish the sites dedicated to students (who prefer long-term advertisements and generally reject tourists) from those that instead offer the opportunity to share accommodation costs even for passing tourists.
Among these the most important and known are:
- Kijiji which hosts ads on each product category but which has a section dedicated to shared rentals
- Idealista which also has a "Find Roommates" section
The latter is the best known and most useful.
If you are looking for how to find shared accommodation, Airbnb is the most suitable site.
The site hosts announcements of homeowners ("hosts") who rent entire houses or just some rooms to tourists. Here you will find a huge choice of accommodation and to share the expenses, all you have to do is find other tourists willing to stay with you.